Google analytics is by far the best Free analytics tool any SEO can use to help themselves further improve a sites performance, and give their clients a good resource to track performance.
In this post, I want to just give you some simple steps to get Google Analytics running on a website. (We have a lot of new SEO experts, and this has been a request that is easy to cover.)
- Make sure you have access to your sites “index.php” file, or if you’re using a CMS like wordpress, make sure you have access to go in and edit the necessary file so you can place some simple code in it.
- Go to – www.google.com/analytics and sign up for an account using either your own, or your clients Google account. If you don’t have one, just create one, it’s Free!
- Once you have logged in, you’re going to want to click on the “+ add new profile” button to get started.
- The steps are simple, just enter your website, and copy the Tracking Code that Google gives you. Once you have that copied, just place that before the closing body tag in your index file, or in your home.php / index.php file if you’re using a CMS, then save it.
- You’re going to need to give Google until after midnight to start tracking your analytics, but give it a day and you will start to see the results right when you login.
There are plenty of options, reports you can create and run, traffic sources, popular pages, keywords, and more to help you pull massive amounts of information to help in your SEO campaign. (Which is of course, what we all love, as much information as possible!)
Note: You can use the same Google Analytics account for multiple websites, just repeat the process above when your in the dashboard.
For more such guides and information, you can visit Brand AdvoKates.
… Read More